Old postcard from 1907
The history of our House
Documentation shows that the Wildenmann tavern was first mentioned in 1426 as the “Wirty zu Buonas”. It was a property of the lords of Hertenstein who at the time ruled from the Buonas castle.
The current restaurant was built in 1708. The “Wildenmann” is the heraldic supporter of the Lucerne coat of arms. Until 1782, the lords of Hertenstein, who were in service for Lucerne, owned the estate. This was always a thorn in the side of the lords of Zug, as after all, the property was located within the territory of the sovereignty of Zug. Constant arguments between Zug and Hertenstein resulted, in which the ownership of the house was disputed.
The name “Wildenmann” was first mentioned in 1813 as the “Taverne zum Wilden Mann”. However, due to the house’s history, it is to be assumed that the “Wildenmann” name dates back even further than that. Until 1959, the Wildenmann contained the residents’ registration office and the office in which municipal assemblies were held. The Wildenmann has up until today been in private ownership. The current owner acquired the property in 2004. In the meantime, the house has been renovated both inside and out.